Winter Cleaning

Oh here's something fun, a list of some of my favorite cleaners. These are products that I find work the best to get rid of all the dirt that somehow accumulates in my house:

1- Comet. Ah, comet, how I love getting high off your fumes. Anyway, this works great for anything from bathtubs to kitchen sinks. I've found that it works exceptionallly well on rust or stains on a stainless steel sink. And most people who know me (and worked with me at starbucks), know that one of my favorite things to do is clean sinks, the dirtier the better. I love seeing it go from nasty brown to shiny silver. And Comet is the only thing I've found that works even somewhat close the the industrial stuff I was able to use at the Bucks.
2- Fantastik. This works great for kitchen counters. Typically my routine for cleaning the counters is this. Step 1- clean the countertops with a soapy sponge and warm water. However, if you stop here, a thin soap film will develop once its dry which makes the counters feel even dirtier than before. So before they dry completely, Step Two- spray some Fantastik on them and wipe it dry with a paper towel... the results, sparkly clean counters.
3- Baking Soda. Oh the things you can do with baking soda.... First, leave one open in the fridge and under the kitchen sink to control weird smells. Another thing is using baking soda with a little water (to make a paste) and then using the paste to scrub the metal protectors underneath stove burners. It gets off the most stubborn of dried, burnt food (even burned milk... which somehow happens to me a lot... if you've ever boiled milk, I'm sure you've experienced this as well). Also, you can buy Arm and Hammer brand carpet deoderizer (which is a must if you have a pet, but even if you dont, it smells clean and fresh). Sprinkle the carpet 5 minutes before vaccuuming and everyone who comes into your house will know that you just finished cleaning.
4- White Vinegar. Mix with a little warm water and pour down the garbage disposal to get rid of more weird kitchen smells. This works especially well after you've thrown some ice down the garbage disposal (to clean the blades) first.
5-OxyClean. As I've already mentioned, I have a dog. OxyClean gets out all her dirt and stains from the carpet without tearing the carpet apart (like Resolve tends to do). At least most of the time it does.
6- White Vinegar and Baking Soda. FUN stuff (you remember elementary science classes right?) If baking soda or vinegar by itself doesnt work, try combining them.
7- Toilet Bowl cleaner. I actually dont know the name of the stuff I use, I just know it comes in an all white container with some directions and a skull and cross bones on it (so you know it must work well). My mother in law gave it to me a while ago, and I think it's industrial strength (as in, you cant buy it at the grocery store). Anyway, it's AWESOME. It gets rid of all the dirt and you dont really even need to scrub. Just make sure you dont breath in too deeply when using it becuase I'm pretty certain it will burn right through your lungs (this stuff is potent).

Comments