Phone Numbers

Okay, so my student isnt here yet , and I thought of another one of my weird quirks.

One small problem I have is that my brain doesnt process numbers well. This means that if I see a number such as 46278, it's a good chance that if I have to copy that number down, or say it outloud, it will end up 46872, and I'll never realize it. Lately this hasnt been much of a problem, simply because I dont deal with numbers a whole lot, but when I was in high school and college it was pretty annoying. A lot of times I'd get a math problem wrong simply because I copied down the numbers out of the book incorrectly.

Now the only time this brain malfunction really causes me problems is when I dial new or unfamiliar phone numbers. Phone numbers I know arent a problem because (and this is something I just figured out) I memorize the pattern. But if someone asks me (for instance) what my home phone number is, it takes me a minute to figure it out, not because I forget it, but because I have to remember how it is dialed and then I can figure out the numbers based on that. But when I get a new number to dial, it usually takes me 2 or 3 tries to get it right. Luckily I almost always figure it out before I get a wrong number, but sometimes I find out the hard way. One really nice thing though, is that one of the phones I have and use frequently, actually displays the number as you are dialing it, so I can check myself to make sure I have it right.

Anyway, that's just one other weird thing about me.

Comments