Overtones

So in music, there are these things called "overtones." I learned a lot about them in my undergrad years... how they helped shape and develop music because of the consonances and dissonances they create, how certain instruments (brass for example), use the overtone series to create their pitches, and how subtle they are. Many, many, many times a teacher would play a low C on the piano to demonstrate the overtones. "Can't you hear them?" they would say. And some of the class would strain their ears and reluctantly answer "oh yeah" and then the teacher would say something like "no you cant, you have no idea what I'm talking about." A few times I was one of those straining students, most of the rest of the time I would zone out. Towards the end of college I actually thought I finally could hear the overtones, but really I think my mind was making them up just so i wouldnt feel so inadequate. I mean, I know a lot about overtones, the fundamental note and the partials, and I know the progression of intervals between partials, etc etc etc... but I could never actually hear overtones... until recently.

I dont know whats caused it. Perhaps it's due to sitting at the high end of the piano for over a year listening to kids bang out simple melodies for several hours a day, or perhaps it's due to my sound duties at church which require me to listen more carefully to music; but whatever it is, I have learned to hear the overtones, and quite honestly, I dont know how I could have missed them before. Unfortunately, I havent been able to turn it off. So now while I'm teaching, all I hear are these high pitched overtones with every stroke of the key, and after a while, it gives me a headache. I mean, I'm excited to finallly understand what everyone was talking about but how do I make them go away? I better figure something out, because by the end of the day, my ears, and my mind, cant take anymore.

On another note... I'm very excited about the upcoming Christmas season!

Comments