Harry Potter

I recently decided I would read all the Harry Potter books. I dont know what made me decide this. I've already seen the first three movies, and honestly, I didnt care for them much. The first one, I thought, was all effects and visual distractions but lacked any real substance or logic. The second one seemed to be built on the same concepts. The third one got a little more interesting... but then that could just be because of my husband's influence. Apparently he didnt dislike it as much as the first because he said the story made more sense, But I think Gary Oldman's appearance had a big influence on his change of heart. But I think what really got me interested was the fact that I heard something bad or at least suprising happens at the end of the sixth book. And I actually want to read it and find out about it that way before I find out any other way (please dont tell me what it is... I'm this close to finding out on my own). Of course I couldnt just start with the 6th book, I'm sure nothing would make sense if I did that. So I decided to start from the beginning.

My first task was to acquire the books. Originally I had hoped to borrow them from the library. But since the sixth book just recently came out, it seemed I wasnt the only one interested in reading the series from the beginning. So my next step was to borrow the books from my sister, who I could have sworn had a set of them. Unfortunately they seemed to have misplaced them. But my sister's friend was nice enough to lend them to me. Well all but the second one, that one is missing.

So I started reading the books 2 Fridays ago. I gave myself the crazy goal of finishing them all within 2 weeks. Of course I did skip the 2nd one (for the moment, I fully intend to go back and read it when I can get a copy of it). So far I'm 70 pages away from finishing the 5th book. I've been reading like crazy lately. Somedays I read for about 6-8 hours (with breaks to eat and give my eyes a chance to relax a little). It really does take up a lot of my time, but to my pleasant surprise, I do enjoy reading them. They aren't changing my life or anything, but they are fun. And that's really what I was in the mood for. My biggest complaint is the length of them. I mean 870 pages in the 5th book??? That's quite unnecessary.

Anyway, only 4 more days to finish. I think I'll get through the 6th one by then. But I dont think I'll manage to read the 2nd one before that as well. I'm not all that concerned though, I've seen the 2nd movie at least 3 times, so I feel as though I have a good enough idea about what happened in that book that I wont miss out on anything too important.

Speaking of which, better get back to reading... time's a-wasting.

Comments