Star Wars

So my husband and I went to see the final Star Wars movie last night. Here are some thoughts:

  • First of all, there is a reason we dont go to the theater much anymore. Actually there may be several... crowds, uncomfortable seats, and outrages ticket prices. Give me the comfort of my own home any day. I really dont care if that means I have to wait a few extra months for the DVD in order to see the movie. But for special occasions, like Revenge of the Sith, we make an exception to go out.
  • Good story. If you take the star wars series as a whole, it's a great story... Good versus Evil, lots of heart, great villains, and light sabers. Now when it comes to the original trilogy, versus the recent trilogy... no contest as far as which is better. However, i think the first three episodes had so much more potential than was realized (you probably could have cut out most of the first episode altogether and spent more time developing the transformation of Anakin to Vader). But I think the best part of the movie last night was seeing why Anakin became Vader. It makes the original trilogy much more meaningful. And you can see all the parallels between Anakin and Luke.
  • Execution of Revenge of the Sith. SUCKED! There were so many awkward scenes, bad dialogue, and way too unnecessarily busy backgrounds throughout the movie. Seriously, if this wasnt a Star Wars film, no one would have liked it. I think right now it's popularity is riding on the fact that everyone loved the originals. So much so that they were willing to put up with all the bad direction, weak acting, and cheesey/lame dialogue. I hope someday in the future, when Lucas's rights to the films have expired, someone else who knows what they are doing will come along and remake the first three episodes. That being said, lucas did come up with a good story, but perhaps should have been more willing to let someone else help him in telling it.
  • Just a few parts that stood out (this might give some of the movie away): the whole "you're so beautiful" scene between Anakin and Padme... does cheesier dialogue exist? I think not. Anakin's rampage at the Jedi Temple... seriously? even the little kids? so sad, how is it that he was able to turn so suddenly? Padme dies even though she is physically fine... she loses the will to live (even though she's just given birth), i find that so hard to believe that I dont even want to begin to go into it here.
  • Selling out. All I have to say about this is it amazes me how much Star Wars paraphenalia is everywhere. Too much.

So that being said, I still think it's worth seeing, just to get the story. But I actually think this would have made a far better book in which you could read the story and envision your own action. All I can say for anyone who hasnt seen it yet... dont go in with high expectations. Perhaps I just feel this way because I tend to look past all the visual bells and whistles that Lucas seems to spend so much time perfecting. But in all honesty that stuff doesnt really mean anything when it comes to the actual story line, character development or anything of substance. And while the visuals may be amazing (and they are, I'm not saying they arent good) I think they detract from the best part of the movies. Am i just supposed to turn off my brain and let my eyes enjoy the movie? Unfortunately, I think that's probably what movies are coming to.

Comments