Working Out

Lately i've been getting back in the habit of going to the gym a couple times a week. I used to do this in college whenever possible, but it was hard to make it routine. At the beginning of the semester it'd be really easy to go at night (when the gym wasnt as crowded) because I didnt really have much school work, so I had the luxury of time. But as the semester wore on, I'd have more and more homework, and less and less time... as a result the gym quickly faded from my routine. I always figured that what little I was able to work out made a difference in my body, and it did to some extent. I would notice little hints of muscles here and there on occasion. But nothing significant.

So a couple months ago, I think at the end of February, my husband and I joined a local gym. And I've been going pretty regularly... about 3 times a week. I dont really push myself too hard at the beginning because I dont want to develop an "I hate going to the gym" mentality. So I figured I'd just take it easy, lighter weights but more repetitions, average cardio with little resistance. No big whoop.

This morning there was a big whoop though. I was moving a basket of laundry and as soon as I lifted it, this muscle bulged out of my bicep. Holy crap! It was the greatest thing ever. I actually have a muscle. It's not the firmest muscle yet, but it's definitely there. And then I noticed, as I was walking up and down the stairs, that my legs had some definition to them. yay, this gym thing is really paying off. Just what I needed to see to convince myself that now is probably a good time to step up my workout to the next level. I'm so excited.

When I went to the gym today, I added a little more weight and a little more resistance to my workout. So far I feel pretty good, I wonder if it will hit me later. The gym is an interesting place for people watching. I actually hate the thought of people-watching at the gym because it causes me to think that other people are people-watching me. But I realize that it happens and try to live with it. I always get a kick when I see a woman come in with her hair just so, a matching outfit, make-up, and lots of jewelry. And it happens more often that I wouldve expected. Like people primp before they go workout (wouldnt want to look bad as I'm dripping with sweat). I, on the other hand, dont really care too much about what my outfit looks like (sweats and a t-shirt work fine), I'm not going there to impress anyone.

Comments